I am almost sure that, at this time, nobody doubt about the power of blogs for positioning properly a brand, place our company within a particular sector, become an expert or rank better a website. The same happens when we talk about personal branding. I am going to tell you how to start blogging, how to choose the platform that better suits you, how you should plan your keyword strategy and how you could organize your publications based on that keyword strategy and, eventually, on your objectives.
Hopefully, once you finish this reading you will have a better idea about how to use the most useful tools you can use to be yourself made known and reach the objectives of your Personal Marketing plan easily.
I let you know that this post, as this blog is still a baby, won´t stop deeply in every single section. If you to know more about all what I talk, you should keep reading me frequently…
The first step is to answer the next question: Why do you need a blog? If the answer is “to kill the time” and make online friends, skip this post and enjoy yourself. If the answer is because a blog is a part of an intelligent Personal Marketing plan, keep reading then.
Make a list with the objectives of your plan and take into account if a blog could help you to get them. Most likely, no matter your profession and final aim of your plan of Personal Marketing, a blog will be the perfect tool in order to:
- Define you online presence and offer a more personal and under control image of you.
- Show your knowledge and experience within your sector and position yourself as an expert.
- Get more visibility in search engine for the keywords that better describes what you do or sell in a cheaper way (what I cannot assure you this will happen fast).
- Know your public and, therefore, potential customers, clients, employers,…
When looking to come up with a Personal Marketing strategy it is vital important to know which keyword searches we want to be an answer for. Do we try to catch the attention of employers looking for freelancer web designers? Do we want customers to find us when type in Google “best digital marketing agencies?
According to this, we should draw up a list of keywords. This can be done with tools like Keywords Planner of Google Adwords or any other free tool you will find on the Internet. This selection of keywords should be present not just when we create the blog, but when we are designing the web and, even when we copywrite our profile for LinkedIn and other online channels.
When you are working in the keyword strategy, pay attention to:
- Use those keywords in titles and subtitles of the blog (<h1> y <h2> for those who already know something about HMTL).
- Include them in the metatags of your blog ( I will talk more about this in future post, don´t worry).
- Write the post bearing your keywords in mind. There is no need to use the same words in everypost, but your post should be consistent with main area of your blog. In plain language, don´t talk about the weather if your site is about fashion, this is just allowed to super famous bloggers or youtubers, but not to the rest of mortals.
- Choose a domain that defines you completely of that include your main keyword.
CMS (content management system or where I can find a platform for my blog)
Or you can afford an assistant to manage the visual aspects of your blog or you will need to roll up your sleeves and learn some basics about Content Management Systems. In this post by Blogging Basics you will find out the main platforms where you will be able to build your blog. I for one, I will just explain a very single and important thing that will make the difference between a “quick fix” blog (platforms like WordPress.com) or a blog for the Personal Marketing plan you really deserve (platforms like WordPress.org):
I use these exemples because they are the most famous and because they exemplify the two kind of platforms you can use. WordPress, like many other systems, offers templates with a basis options and limited control in design and customization, depending if you upgrade or not your account. This kind of platform offer:
- Basic services such us server, template, domain (with their name in the middle in the free version), etc. You will have a blog, but at the time you want to improve its options you will have to pay, for sure.
- Little freedom of customization.
- No plugings. These extensions are very useful to improve the usability and the options of our blog in terms of desigh, widgets, security, languages, loading speed, etc.
- Little control. When using these kind of platform, the ownership of your creations is theirs and they can do whatever they want with them. If they change the rules of the service at anytime, you won´t be able to do anything against it.
- Difficulties to monetizing the blog.Wordpress.com is not Affiliate Marketing friendly and who knows if you will have the possibility to make money with what you post.
When you use the alternative WordPress.org or other platforms like Joomla, you don´t pay anything. In exchange you will have to take over everything about your blog like hosting, get your own domain in places like Namechip or download the plugings to obtain all the improvements for your blog and read a little about them in order to take the most of them.
Planning and Organization
When all the things above are done, you are ready to start planning your posts. Yes, it looks the easiest part, but it isn´t, especially if you take into account that when you write you should alwayis bear this in mind:
- Your Personal Marketing plan and what are you looking for with it. Otherwise your all your work will be worthless, trust me.
- Keywords strategy. The keywords must be present in your article leading the rest of the text. They have to be enough but not just stuffing, but natural.
- Images that make your text more attractive. The readers are getting more and more demanding and lazy. It is really difficult to catch their attention and if you don´t make it easy and nice…sayonara baby!
- Links. It is still soon to talk about that known as link building, but you should be familiar with these words. A high quality backlink (link from another web) from a authoritative sites. Blogs with high quality as per Google search engine criteria, with a lot of visits can help us to rank better in search engines. The links shouldn´t be chosen randomly, they have to make sense, as you can imagine.
- Tags. Go above and read again what I said about SEO.
About planning and organization, everything will depend on the available time you have to work on your blog and your capacity of content creation, always unique, original and relevant. What I usually do is write down a list of topics for the posts (I will talk in the future about different tools you can use to plan your publications in your blogs and social media) and set the frequently I will write.
It is important that you follow a routine writing and don´t stop for a long time, otherwise you will give the impression of disinterest and unprofessionalism. In the beginning everything will go slowly because you will be making decisions about design, plugins, etc, but once you start and you to take a run-up you will be able to post often and constantly.
I think this has been enough for today. I hope this has been useful to get warmer up for your Personal Marketing plan.
Any question? If you need any clarification don´t hesitate to contact me. We are open almost 24/7.